I’ve noticed something recently with woman my age, and I’ve been really searching into answers.
I am seeing woman my age, myself included, who have always bounced around in group fitness and kept up with all the young ones, but are now finding it harder than it used to be, harder physically, harder on energy levels, and not really having the effect that you’d like it to have on your overall weight management. Particularly around the mid section, the hips, butt and thighs.
Does that ring true to anyone else?
The winter months are coming to and end here in NZ and once again, the thought of summer, shorts, bikinis, Christmas and party frocks are on the minds of many woman, all shapes, all sizes and all ages!
I don’t know about you, but in the last few years, especially being back in NZ where the weather is colder… I seem to put on the “winter layer” just a couple of extra kilo’s that protect me from the cold months…so it seems. But it seems like it takes longer to get rid of those layers than before…and in some cases, they just stay there.
So what I have learned is to initiate a kick-start to shed those extra rolls and get the metabolism winding up after the hibernation of winter!
How do we do that….listen up!
1. I struggle with this personally, but a short 3 day detox is absolutely essential to clean out the liver and digestive system, and help reset your metabolism. You can do this through various ways including making your own juices, or buying pre-made ones, like PHD. Make sure you are drinking around 3 pure juices on these days. Vegetable juice preferably, although add a little fruit and lemons for flavor and sweetness.
2. For the first 3 days of this plan, eat incredibly clean. No dairy, no wheat, no beef and definitely no pasta bread or SUGAR!! Sugar is the bad guy…
3. And…..no alcohol. It’s only 3 days!
4. If you really need coffee, drink black coffee, and 1/day.
5. Drink plenty of herbal teas and at least 2 litres of water.
6. Eat raw as much as possible, with plenty of fresh vegetables and a little fruit in salads, or make into fabulous raw recipes. E.g. Raw Pad Thai. Flavor with fresh herbs and spices.
7. Eat only clean protein, like fish and seafood, and eggs. Once again, it’s only 3 days.
8. Start an exercise plan that must include resistance or weight training, HIIT cardio, and relaxation exercise as well, like yoga or beach walking.
9. Take a look at your gut health, and introduce gut mending food such as apple cider vinegar, sauerkraut and Kim chi.
10. Be incredibly kind to yourself, and look at your plan for the next few weeks with enthusiasm, excitement and positivity. If you go into this with a negative mindset, you will not get the benefits that you are looking for.
11. Don’t give up your favorite group fitness classes. They are still so beneficial not only for cardio, but for your mindset as well. I still teach group fitness and I LOVE it! Just don’t overdo them, and treat them as part of your fitness regime…not the only thing in your regime!
Then, set a plan of action, have a goal in mind and get to work. Know what you are going to do on a daily/weekly basis, but remain flexible. If things don’t work in your favor for that day, let it go, and make up for it the next day.
Everything you put in your mouth is crucial. BUT…treat yourself occasionally with something you really want to have, and then get back on the bus. Total denial of yummy food will only cause a train wreck.
Record what you are eating and take note if you are finding times when you are craving certain foods, and if you cave. If you do, don’t beat yourself up, there will be a reason and a solution. Now is the time to sort it.
The definition of insanity has been described as “doing the same thing but expecting a different result.”
If you continue to do exactly what you have been doing for the last 2-5-10 years…and things are not changing the way you would like them to be changing…then why are you still doing those things???
Maybe it’s time to try something different.
Have you ever been on the weight floor?
Are you scared of lifting weights?
Are you scared to try something different?
Are you completely bamboozled by what you need to change?
That’s where you need to enlist the help of someone who knows what to change.
Someone who has walked the talk, and understands where you are.
And someone who has experience with woman, hormones, weight loss and the over 40 bracket.
I’d love you to come and join me in my tribe, and let me help you get on top of this. It’s NOT impossible, and you don’t need to settle for anything less than the best you can be.
If this sounds like something you want to know more about, drop me an email at
[email protected] and we can chat about it more.
Or, head over to www.chrissiemcdonald.com where there are 2 great options for getting that kick-start you need in the gym, along with a food plan to keep you on track.
The #Kick in the pants program is a 28 day program to reset your metabolism and get into the swing of things.
The #Woman wine and hormones is an online program that runs for 6 weeks, with 6 learning modules, consultation calls, and weekly zoom calls to understand your hormones, as well as an exercise and food plan specially for you. Hormones affect woman of ALL ages, so this is not for a certain age group, but for all woman who are experiencing an imbalance of hormones that is affecting their mindset, emotional stability and weight management.
Don’t waste one more day wondering if the old plan will work. If the horse is dead…dismount!
Remember: “The definition of insanity is to keep doing what you are doing and expect a different result. “
When things are not happening as you want them to, regardless of how hard you are working, and whether they used to work in the past…it’s time to look at what you CAN change to get the result you desire.